Causby Tour 8Causby Parker - 9-20-14(Click on photos for larger view)
Welcome to The Causby Photo Tours. Causby Parker has set out to photograph places and buildings in Alderson and give some information about them. Some are the way we have always remembered, while some are not. There are links at the bottom of the page will take you to the previous tour and the next one. Please take time to comment. Causby is doing this out of passion for our little town. We hope you enjoy the Causby Photo Tours.
Approximately here is where the C.J. Casdorph Grocery Store once stood. William "Willie" Fawcett and Orville Upton were employed there. A little to the left of the concrete bench is where The Snack Shack (the local "hang out") was. The beautiful riverbank behind the Snack Shack.
Looking over to the Monroe side of the Memorial Bridge.
Alderson sign "Settled in 1777”. Signs, Joint Co. Bridge, inlaid in walls of memorial bridge. Opposite, bridge wall plaques, "Nat'l. Register of Historic Places
Renovation and bridge history plaques.
Left: Looking toward the other side of bridge where once stood the C. D. Hanger Jewelry Store. Right: Hanger’s Jewelry Store in one of Alderson’s floods. (Photo: Tom Roush)
L.O. Mc. Clung Building, and through the double doors on the corner is the former home of the Alderson National Bank, circa 1910. The Vault is still there. Today, this building is owned by the Alderson Renaissance Committee. There are still rental apartments & residents living upstairs.
Johnson Memorial United Methodist Church: In 1911 the Reverend G. C. Beery raised money for a new church lot in North Alderson. After securing the lot, it was not until May 17, 1915 that a building committee for a new church was selected. They were S. R. Neel, R. L. Johnson, J. E. Keller, O. D. Massey, and E. Chase Bare, and a fund raising drive was started. From October 1917 until May 27, 1923, the congregation met in Jarrett-Massey Hall on the third floor of the Alderson National Bank, while the line brick church was being constructed. The church congregation on May 11, 1921, unanimously approved the plans of the new church and on February 21, 1922, a contract was let to Phelps and Halloran, Charleston, to build it. The total cost of the lot, church and pipe organ was $52,452.86. The first service was on the last Sunday of May, 1923, and the church was known as Johnson Memorial Methodist Church in memory of J. F. Johnson. For more information http://www.min7th.com/awv/ghschurches4.htm
When these were still there: Left to Right. The Snack Shack, C. J. Casdorph Grocery Store, and Ed Harris Grocery and gas station. These three building stood on the bank of the Greenbrier. (See top two photos)