1928 - Alderson High School - 1968
Causby Tour 9 Causby Parker - 9-20-14 (Click on photos for larger view)
Welcome   to   The   Causby   Photo   Tours.   Causby   Parker   has   set   out   to   photograph   places   and   buildings   in   Alderson and   give   some   information   about   them.   Some   are   the   way   we   have   always   remembered,   while   some   are   not. There   are   links   at   the   bottom   of   the   page   will   take   you   to   the   previous   tour   and   the   next   one.   Please   take   time   to comment. Causby is doing this out of passion for our little town. We hope you enjoy the Causby Photo Tours.
More to come!
Going West on 3, past the bridge , toward Glen Ray. Glen Ray Railroad Flag Stop Station in 1917, no longer there.
Once   the   Quillen   Lumber   Mill,   Wholesale   &   Retail   Lumber   &   Building   Supplies. They   also   had   a   railroad   siding   where   they could   load   a   flatcar   . The   lumber   was   shipped   in   rough   hewn,   planed   &   milled,   then   shipped   out   ready   for   use.   Now   owned by   Someone   by   the   name   of   "Brown",   used   as   a   auto   repair   shop   and/or   body   shop.   (as   far   as   I   know.   )   There   is   ample room    for    correction    on    this    one!   The    photo    on    the    Right    was    originally    the    stock    yard,    now    owned    by    a    Virginia Horsemans' Association. They have a few head of horses there and that's all I know. (More on Stockyard)
Front   Gate   of   FPC,   Alderson   with   new   plantings   along   entrance.   From   the   Prison   gate   looking   across   R.R.   track,toward the Alderson Sewer Plant.
The Field where the old air strip & hangar once operated parallel to the R. R. Track, now full of Mobile Homes & modular homes.
In   1906   the   Commonwealth   Lumber   Company   of   Pennsylvania,   started   operating   at   Glen   Ray,   west   of   town   between   the C.   &   O.   Railway   and   the   Greenbrier.   Commonwealth   built   the   village   of   Glen   Ray   of   twenty   houses,   a   store,   a   boarding house   and   a   barn.   Three   well   known   carpenters,   Emmett   Taylor,   Gilbert   Miller   and   Matt   Kershner   with   helpers,   built   the town. Then   the   company   built   a   bridge   across   the   Greenbrier   and   started   a   standard   gauge   railroad   to   haul   the   logs   to   the mill.   They   had   three   engines   and   eventually,   there   were   twenty-five   miles   of   railroad   going   up   Griffith’s   Creek   and   winding all   over   Keeney’s   Mountain.   (Photos   L-R:   Lumber   workers   pose   for   picture.   Early   Glen   Ray   showing   the   railroad   bridge they build across the Greenbrier. Aerial view of Glen Ray today - Google Earth Photo. ( More information on Glen Ray )