Causby Tour - Page 1Causby Parker - August , 2013(Click on photos for larger view)
On the left, the "old" Johnson & Gwinn Hardware store, (not housing any business at present.)
John Alderson's store, now operated by John M. and Betty Alderson & Daughter Sarah.
Beside the train track at the end of the Memorial Bridge is Alderson Alumni Park. A beautiful little gazebo adorns the property with a walkway paved of memorial bricks purchased by our residents in memory of their loved ones.
The Old First National Bank building on the corner of Main St. There are no businesses in it at present.
Lobban Funeral Home, in operation since 1901, still owned by the Lobban Family, now owned by Karen Lobban & operated by Sarah & Charles Lobban III.
Next to the Bank building is Alderson Family Medical, (More information on this later). Next, the Drug Store, that was, up until recently owned & operated by Jim Coleman and was bought out by Fritz's Pharmacy, who also has a Pharmacy in Fairlea, WV. Next, with the beautiful blooming tree is of course an empty lot, which is owned by the Fire Station.
The Alderson Vol. Fire Dept. and then the Alderson Post Office. (See photo about 85 years ago of Main street, and the building that was there before the Post Office.)
The tall red brick building is where the Alderson National Bank was housed in 1911. In the same building was the L. O. McClung Clothing and Shoe Store. It was last operated by Ralph McClung and has had many occupants. It is now vacant, but advertised For Rent.
The old Gulf Station which, "back in "the day" was owned and operated by Harry Meredith, and later by Jim Highlander. It is now the Alderson Information Center and on Saturdays in the summer, The Alderson Community Food Hub sets up market stands for local residents to sell, fruit, vegetables, homemade breads, cakes, & cookies, hand-made crafts etc. ( even chickens, still on foot ). They also feature live music by local artists.
The "old" Ashland Station, once run by Jim Jackson, Larry & Jerry Smith, which is now the home of the Alderson City Police Station. Correction: The Police have returned to the City Hall Building. The town maintenance crew now uses the building.
Welcome to The Causby Photo Tours. Causby Parker has set out to photograph places and buildings in Alderson and give some information about them. Some are the way we have always remembered, while some are not. There are links at the bottom of the page will take you to the previous tour and the next one. Please take time to comment. Causby is doing this out of passion for our little town. We hope you enjoy the Causby Photo Tours.