VARIETY IS THE KEY TO THE 2017 HOME TOURThe Home Tour Weekend (June 9-11), sponsored by the Greenbrier Historical Society, will begin with stunning views from the Peyton house gala and end with a heart-warming tribute to the accomplishments of Katherine Coleman Johnson during afternoon tea at St. Thomas Episcopal Church in White Sulphur Springs.In the middle is the traditional tour of historic homes on Saturday, June 10 from 10-5 p.m. Two of the houses featured this year are excellent examples that a well-designed home built of quality materials will stand the test of time and serve families from one century to another with grace and dignity.The Cohen home was originally designed as a girls’ school near the center of Lewisburg and not far from Greenbrier Military School. One can just feel the ghosts of would-be students on the third floor under that mansard roof whispering and giggling in their beds. However, it was not to be as the proposed school never opened and no such groups of girls ever lived in the house. Henry Reece Hodson purchased the land in 1880 and is credited with building the house shortly thereafter. J. W. Benjamin, in his “Personal Recollections (of the Battle of Lewisburg)” told that H. R. Hodson “was the soldier in Edgar’s Battalion who unwittingly loaded his musket with a double charge of powder and two projectiles. When Hodson fired his super-charged musket, the recoil knocked him unconscious and the projectiles were later reported by a Union officer as having (killed) two Union soldiers and (wounded) a third.”Now, Hodson’s house serves as the beautifully restored hub of a family business; a welcoming home for grown children; the domain of two very active dogs; and a health oriented place of relaxation for Dr. and Mrs. Cohen.Patty Cohen did much of the restoration work herself and the beautifully finished curved Italianate window and door surrounds are evidence of her skill. The elegant home of Mrs. Lynn Brody may be best known for its time as the Daywood Art Gallery. Likely built around 1904, it served as a family home until 1950 when it was purchased by Ruth Woods Dayton, who is widely known as the author of “Greenbrier Pioneers and Their Homes.” After extensive renovation, Mrs. Dayton opened the home as the Daywood Art Gallery in 1951. Until 1967 she used it to display her husband’s extensive collection of late 19th century and early 20th century American art. After the house closed as a gallery, it was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. A.W. McThenia who had recently sold “The Cedars” in Alderson. It may have been Mrs. McThenia’s passion for boxwoods that left so many magnificent specimens on the grounds. Mrs. Brody has developed her own enthusiasm for “the box” and once travelled to National Arboretum in Washington, D.C. for advice on their care. Now the home once again shines with art—this time the eclectic collection that Dr. and Mrs. Brody amassed over the years. From a delicate glass chandelier purchased in Venice to batiks from Africa and Mexico and many lovely paintings in-between, this gracious home does double duty as both home and private art gallery.Tickets are available at the North House Museum and the Greenbrier Convention and Visitors Bureau in Lewisburg; City Hall in White Sulphur Springs and from GHS board members. Gala tickets are $60; tour tickets are $30; and tea tickets are $20. A special value weekend package of tickets to all three events is available for $100. While home tour tickets will be available at each house on the day of the tour, gala and tea tickets must be purchased by June 2. Please call 304-645-3398 for more information. The Greenbrier Historical Society thanks The Greenbrier Resort for helping to sponsor these events.Contact: Margaret Hambrick or Nick LaCasse 304-646-2439 304-645-3398
The Cohen home was built to house a girls’ school.
A small formal garden with fountain nestles in the back yard of the Brody home.
(Click on photo for larger view)
GREENBRIER HISTORICAL SOCIETY814 West Washington StreetLewisburg, WV 24910 304-645-3398 NEWS RELEASE